So in looking for something new to play, I’ve been thinking about the Eldar. Like most folks, playing marine vs marine is fun, but it would be nice to have a bit more variety. My Imperial Guard really isn’t that much fun to play against (ie, it’s a lot of me shooting – and while it’s fun vs a really optimized list… it’s just not that much fun to play for fun games) And for really “competitive” games I tend to roll with my spacewolves.
I’ve played against the all mech eldar list and I just don’t think they’re worth it for the points cost (ie, a gazillion-ish points for an overpriced wave serpent seems too steep to really be effective, especially when you add in the min troops you have to take.) Caveat = Having a dozen grav tanks on the field is really cool… but I feel like they need more inside in order to really be effective (which is about 300 points for fully kitted out Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent – which is just too many points)
So I looked at the Footdar lists out there and I just don’t like the Avatar and the Wraiths combo… which seem to be the major lynchpin of those sort of lists… Mostly it’s cause I really don’t like the Avatar model… not even the forgeworld one.
So in looking that the tools available I’m thinking the best I can really do is to try to minimize the overall cost for each unit and maximize the damage output.
- Farseer (Singing Spear, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Guide/Doom) – 138 points
- 3 x Guardians (Scatter Laser HW platform) – 95 points each
- 3 x 3 War Walker Squadrons – Dual Scatter Lasers – 60 points each
- 3 x 2 Vyper Squadrons – Scatter Laser + Shuriken Cannons – 70 points each
- 3 x 5 Fire Dragons – Wave Serpants with Shuriken Cannons and TL scatter lasers – 205 points each
So, looking at the negatives….
- Eldar shooting really sucks. Pretty much BS 3 across the board except for the Fire Dragons. Which is really kind of crap for a race with super reflexes… but whatever.
- Not a lot of resiliency in my vehicles… Armor 10 pretty much all around with the wave serpents only marginally better at 12’s.
- Lack of High strength and low AP stuff… I’d have to rely on torrent of fire.
- No close combat element (though it’s not really a big deal in more shooty oriented list… but at least Marines are WS 4 and T4…. But I just couldn’t find a cc element that would work cheaply or effectively (ie, could go toe to toe with other “real” cc options)
- Decent number of shots from each unit. The guardians are a little lame… but otherwise not too bad. Walkers will kick out 24 each turn, Vipers 14, serpents 7… All told, just shy of 150 str 6 shots each turn and 15 melta
- Unit saturation – No real point sinks… Given that a 5 man razorback squad is 165 most of my stuff isn’t too far off the MSU mark.
- Metagame – with the need to include torrent of fire as a way to deal with Grey Knights, the list might work since I shouldn’t be too outclassed in terms of shooting… but even then, for most games I play, it’s not really necessary to bring your best tourney list. Most of our games are what I’d call “mildly competitive” – Ie, you can’t get by on complete crap…. but we’re not bringing fully optimized lists either…
- It’s something new.
I think a lot will ride on deployment (as always) and who goes first… a decent shooty list could really hurt me turn one… but that’s pretty much the case when you play MSU…