Here we go… this model has been sitting for about 2 years and is now finally painted….
So these guys sucked to paint. I got the minis for $1 each and they were covered in primer. They had a 6 day soak in break fluid and still had primer on that I couldn’t remove. So there are a lot of details that got lost…. Bleh….
So in painting them I really tried to grunge it up a bit in order to hide their ugly bits… They will be my stand ins for a CCS and I like them alright… But at somepoint I might have to buy a box from GW and actually do them right….
Here we go….. When planning out my Ultramarines force, I knew I wanted to get some Forgeworld Stuff (especially the Ultramarines decals) and the Foregeworld razorbacks look really cool IMO – also, they’re only a few bucks more than a standard Razorback… so I got them all at once and it let me get the free shipping on the order.
Couple of things different here from what I’ve done in the past…
- Using the Army Painter spray on vehicles… In the past, I’ve hit them with chaos black then took an airbrush to them…
- I painted the tracks and the tank separately… Since rhino tracks are about the easiest to get right, it really saved a lot of time.
- Used a really simple drybrush weathering approach… it’s just a bit of graveyard earth…. but I think it came out well.
- Went over the chipping with a graphite pencil… Then went over all of the edges with the pencil… it doesn’t show well in the pics, but it give the tank a softer look.
Also, I had to deal with some anti-shine varnish weirdness…. I think I need to go back to running the dehumidifier for an hour or so in my painting space before I start… there were some places where the model got some weird texturing…
Also, I was pretty happy how the eagle on the rhino top hatch came out…. I was pretty sure I’d have to dig into the bits box and make another when I started… but I think turned out fairly well.
At any rate, on to the pics….